Underwriting Professional Development Program: Ocean Marine
Company: The Travelers Companies
Posted on: June 7, 2021
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other.
That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have
maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty
insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a
culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration.
Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description Summary
Start Date: 8/16/21
Under close supervision and as a participant in a structured
training program, actively learns about underwriting philosophy,
business unit products and strategies, negotiation, and
relationship building. As a trainee, handles renewal business under
direct supervision and moves to developing new business as skills
advance. As knowledge increases and, under direct supervision,
takes on less complex underwriting of individual accounts and
eventually a territory. Seeks out opportunities to observe account
analysis discussions with other underwriters and underwriting
leaders. Takes initiative for their own development. The incumbent
in this job does not manage others.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Underwriting and Pricing:
- Under direct supervision, underwrites and assesses risk and
makes recommendations for less complex accounts in a market
- Distribution and Agency Management:
- Establishes effective relationships with customers, agents and
- Develops consultative sales and marketing skills through their
interaction with agents/brokers and via coaching from their
- Develops negotiation skills through their interaction with
agents/brokers and via coaching from their manager.
- Executes Strategy and Drives Results:
- Develops planning and organization skills necessary to
effectively manage desk and assume a territory.
- Business Planning and Collaboration:
- Effectively collaborates with others on all aspects of
- Understands the need to seek enterprise-wide solutions to
- Leading Self:
- Takes initiative for personal development and seeks to learn
through underwriting, marketing, and other related
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor degree or one year of applicable business experience
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Entry level position.
- Educational background/ coursework in Business Administration/
Management, Finance/Accounting, Economics, Mathematics/Science,
- Industry/Business Knowledge:
- Demonstrates an ability, desire, and intellectual curiosity to
learn the business.
Licensing or Certificates
- Valid drivers license or alternate means of personal
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Business Perspective: Uses knowledge of internal and external
factors impacting the property & casualty industry to make
- Analytical Thinking/Financial Acumen: Identifies current or
future problems or opportunities, analyzes, synthesizes and
compares information to understand issues, identifies cause/effect
relationships and explores alternative solutions to support sound
- Understands and uses financial information, tools and expense
management principles to accomplish day-to-day work and maximize
- Relationship Management: Seeks out, builds, fosters and
maintains productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet
goals and achieve results.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Travel Requirements: Travel Occasionally
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique
abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization
and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the
physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we
may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level
above or below the level included in this posting.
Keywords: The Travelers Companies, Glendale , Underwriting Professional Development Program: Ocean Marine, Other , Glendale, Arizona
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!