Environmental Health & Safety Manager
Posted on: May 28, 2023
6112 N 56th Ave, Glendale, Arizona 85301 United States of America
Under the direction of the Plant President, the Environmental Health and Safety Manager is responsible for directing and guiding the workforce towards safe behaviors and fostering a culture of safety. This position manages the operations and activities of the safety programs by providing strategic support to all departments throughout the plant.
U-Haul offers our Team Members:
Full medical coverage, if eligible
Prescription plans, if eligible
Dental and vision plans
Registered Dietitian Program, if eligible
Gym Reimbursement Program
Weight Watchers, if eligible
Virtual doctor visits
Opportunities for advancement
Valuable on-the-job training
Tuition Reimbursement Program
Free online courses for personal and professional development at U-Haul University -
You Matter Employee Assistance Program
Paid holidays, vacation and sick days, if eligible
Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
401(k) savings plan
Critical illness/group accident coverage
24-hour physician available for kids
MetLaw Legal Program
MetLife auto and home insurance
Mindset App Program
Discounts on cell phone plans, hotels and more
LifeLock identity theft protection
Savvy consumer-wellness programs - from health-care tips to financial wellness
Dave Ramsey's SmartDollar Program
U-Haul Federal Credit Union membership
- Plan, manage and direct safety policies and procedures in compliance with local, state, and federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) rules and regulations.
- Plan, manage and direct environmental regulatory policies and procedures in compliance with local, state, and federal EPA regulations relating to air, water and waste standards.
- Administer the day-to-day compliance and serve as the plant resource for Team Members, Supervisors, and Managers for all Environmental Health and Safety issues over a three-shift operation.
- Audit and inspect practices, procedures, equipment, and facilities to detect existing or potential accident and health hazards, determine corrective or preventative measures where indicated, and follows up to ensure measures have been implemented.
- Administer and monitor the facility wide Environmental Health and Safety program and recommend methods to ensure Team Member participation and the implementation of a successful safety culture.
- Champion facility safety meetings.
- Champion and lead projects to improve EHS Key Performance Indicators. Establish and report metrics to plant management.
- Manage the investigation of accidents, incidents and injuries and cooperates in the preparation of material and evidence for organization use in hearings, lawsuits, and insurance claims. Conduct root cause analysis to reduce events and make recommendations for preventative measures.
- Prepare studies and analyses of industrial accident causes and hazards to health for use by company personnel and outside agencies.
- Evaluate practices, processes, procedures, and facilities to assess risk and implement improvements.
- Develop emergency response programs and plans, scheduling regular training and drills.
- Develop EHS educational training programs and conduct training sessions to plant Team Members. Manage refresher training and retraining programs.
- Represent the company in community or industry safety groups and programs.
- Assist with policy renewals, claims management, claims reviews, budget planning and risk minimization programs.
- Share "Best Practices" throughout the organization and monitor opportunities for cross-collaboration.
- Bachelor's degree in related field or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years of experience in workplace Safety, Security, and Environmental programs.
- OSHA-30 certification preferred.
- Working knowledge of manufacturing industry preferred, with a knowledge of regulations and factors related to manufacturing facilities.
- Strengths in people management including communication, leadership skills, and effective presentation skills.
- Ability to travel on a periodic basis between facility locations or to trade shows.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision while prioritizing and managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Experience with MS Office, MS Project, MS Power Point, ERP/MRP.
U-Haul Holding Company, and its family of companies including U-Haul International, Inc. ("U-Haul"), continually strives to create a culture of health and wellness. Consistent with applicable state law, U-Haul will not hire or re-hire individuals who use nicotine products. The states in which U-Haul will decline to hire nicotine users are: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Nebraska, Pennsylvania, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, and Washington. U-Haul has observed this hiring practice since February 1, 2020 as part of our commitment to a healthy work environment for our team.
U-Haul is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, provincial, state or local law. Individual accommodations are available on requests for applicants taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Information obtained during this process will only be shared on a need to know basis.
Since 1945, U-Haul has been serving do-it-yourself movers and their households. Like many other successful ventures, the concept for U-Haul was generated out of need. After World War II, there existed the widespread need for do-it-yourself moving equipment that would be available on a one-way, nationwide basis. U-Haul co-founders L.S. "Sam" Shoen and his wife, Anna Mary Carty Shoen, recognized that need and acted upon it. Their visionary approach spread the cost of ownership among many users, facilitating the mobility of the populations of the U.S. and Canada. The covered wagon of the pioneers morphed into orange U-Haul trailers. In the process, an industry was born.
Keywords: U-Haul, Glendale , Environmental Health & Safety Manager, Executive , Glendale, Arizona
here to apply!