Transition Technician / Job Coach - WORKS (Multiple Vacancies)
Company: Peoria Unified School District
Posted on: September 17, 2023
School Support Staff
Cactus High School - Glendale, AZ
Until FilledPosition Title: Transition Technician - WORKS
Department: Special Education
Supervisor: Principal at assigned location
Term of Employment: 9 months - 37.5 hrs/wk
Salary Classification: 10
Job Summary: Support the Adult Transition Center program in the
execution of a variety of classroom and community-based activities
designed to develop adult readiness skills in the area of
employment and independent living. This position requires work with
young adults that have a wide range of physical, social, emotional
and/or intellectual disabilities, either 1:1 or in small group
settings at school or in the community. Ongoing collaboration and
cooperation with a variety of school and community based partners
Essential Functions: Essential functions, as defined under the
Americans with Disabilities Act, may include, but are not limited
to, the following tasks, duties, knowledge, skills and other
characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a
comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by
incumbents in this class.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES generally include the
following. Other duties may be assigned:
- Assist in the delivery of classroom and community-based
- Assist with acquiring, organizing and preparing classroom and
campus materials and tools
- Maintain a clean and orderly student work space to promote
efficiency and ensure safety
- Transport students to/from campus and community-based
activities using a school van
- Document student performance at work/volunteer sites in order
to monitor and assess person-environment fit.
- Provide onsite job coaching for individual or small groups of
students at community sites
- Implement individualized support strategies to facilitate
student success and independence with performing employment and
independent living skills.
- Supervise students independently in and around the campus and
in the community
- Monitor, redirect and/or intervene with students demonstrating
disruptive or negative behaviors
- Facilitate mature social skills with students to ensure
successful community integration
- Model appropriate work habits and behaviors
- Provide community based travel training (pedestrian safety,
public transportation, etc.)
- Track and document student progress in school and in the
- Inspect campus and community worksites to ensure environment is
safe and accessible for individual students
- Foster positive school and community partnerships to ensure
ongoing opportunities for students
- Accurately record daily work activities and maintain required
- Facilitate student readiness for Vocational Rehabilitation (VR)
referral and assist with the process as directed.
- Assist VR clients with completing required activities requested
by the VR Counselor for development of the student's Individual
Plan of Employment as requested.
- Maintain strict adherence to confidentiality regarding all
student history and records.
- Attend district meetings and trainings as required.
- Follow district and departmental policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned. KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
Knowledge of applicable Federal, state, county and city statutes,
rules, policies and procedures.
Knowledge of applicable Peoria Unified School District and
departmental policies and procedures.
Knowledge of IDEA, ADA and other legislative acts that effect
education and employment of people with disabilities.
Skills in establishing and maintaining effective working
relationships with all stakeholders
Skills in operating a computer and utilizing a variety of software
applications including but not limited to Excel, Microsoft Word,
PowerPoint, SharePoint and Outlook
Skills in verbal and written communication including interpreting
and expressing ideas and directions.
Skills in organization and management of materials, records,
resources and other information
Skills in time management and task prioritization
Must demonstrate the following capabilities:
a. Ability to work autonomously and self-monitor
b. Ability to work independently with students (1:1 or in small
groups) in the school and community settings
c. Ability to problem solve, adapt and change routines or
activities quickly as situations arise
d. Ability to respond with appropriate behavioral management
strategies when working with youth
e. Ability to perform a variety of multi-step activities and manage
a flexible schedule
f. Ability to establish and maintain a positive rapport with
students and work professionally with school staff.
- A high school diploma or GED.
- At least 1 year working with youth ages 14-22 Preferred:
- Previous experience in social services or education working
with individuals that have special needs or at-risk youth.
- College coursework completion in education, business, social
services or human relations.
- Experience working in the public sector
- The equivalent of two years of college or a passing score on a
state-approved competency examination. OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Must possess or obtain an Arizona IVP Fingerprint Clearance
- Must be able to pass a background clearence check.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain an Arizona driver's
- Must be eligible for, able and willing to operate a district
vehicle to transport students
- May be required to lift and carry heavy, bulky supplies and
materials weighing up to 20 pounds
- May be required to assist with transfers for students that have
- May be required to assist students with personal care
- May be required to work outside normal working hours
- Will be required to travel to perform job duties and
Keywords: Peoria Unified School District, Glendale , Transition Technician / Job Coach - WORKS (Multiple Vacancies), Education / Teaching , Glendale, Arizona
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!